The armed forces of all countries have developed customs over the centuries considering that their beginning. Traveling a flag at half pole is just one of those, and also is often utilized as a signal of regard or distress or grieving.
Remarkably, fifty percent mast is the term frequently made use of by countries to explain the flying of a flag midway down its pole, however in the USA half mast is only utilized when the flag gets on a ship; or else, the term half team is made use of for flags ashore.
While the act of flying a flag at fifty percent mast has been around because the 17th century, there remains conjecture in between companies concerning what half mast actually implies. The Brits decline to decrease the flag listed below two-thirds of the post whereas other nations wont lower it listed below the hoist or below the size of the flag itself.
There are numerous reasons various countries will certainly reduce their flag to half pole, yet right here are some of the reasons for it methods by some nations:
- For 1 month after a former or existing President (or the President elect) dies
- Prior to twelve noon on Memorial Day
- On September 11 yearly
- At funeral services of members of the Royal Family members
- At funeral services of present and previous Prime Ministers
- Till noontime on ANZAC Day
- On Remembrance Day
- On wedding anniversaries of natural catastrophes
- The death of a participant of the British Royal Household
- The death of a currently-serving Governor General or Head Of State
- On the death of major leaders of the administering political celebration
- On the anniversaries of natural disasters
- On a day announced by the federal president to be a day of mourning any type of event determined as ideal
- On the wedding anniversaries of particular all-natural disasters
- On the death of the King or Queen
- On the fatality of the currently-serving Prime Minister or Vice Head Of State